PACKARD’S EAST GRAND BOULEVARD ASSEMBLY PLANT
Author -- Joe Babiasz
“Ask The Man Who Owns One.”
This is the outside of the bridge. Note clock.
The majority of the 1.6 million vehicles produced were built at Packard’s East Grand Boulevard assembly plant in Detroit, Michigan. The East Grand Boulevard plant was, in many respects, responsible for creating what we know today as “middle class” America. The Packard Motor Car Company took part in building a thriving community that helped provide opportunities for people willing to work hard and had the dream of living America’s “good life”.
Aerial View of Plant circa 1937
As the plant area is today
Packard Motor Car Company had its modest start in Warren, Ohio as the Ohio Motor Car Company. Within a few years of founding the company, it became necessary to expand due to increased sales of their popular motor car. The decision was made to move from Warren, Ohio to Detroit, Michigan. The main reason for the move was because all of the investors who were putting money into the company lived in Detroit. Henry Joy, an entrepreneur assembled the group, who provided $275,000 of seed money for Packard, more than double the amount the Packard brothers were able to bring to the table. After putting the team in place, Joy was asked to find an architect to design the new facility. Joy chose Albert Kahn, a world-renowned architect who later designed the Packard Proving Grounds, GM building and other Detroit landmarks.